Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Spring Dreams: Honey Chamomile Cupcakes

I'm constantly on a mission to "veganize" practically everything that can be. Cupcakes and other sweets are no exception. One of the things that always convinces me to maintain a vegan lifestyle is the ability to continue to enjoy all of life's pleasures without compromising my beliefs.

The original recipe to these delicate cupcakes is not vegan. I cannot tell you the delight I get when I can break down a recipe and think, "Oh, I can totally make a vegan version." The best part of all is being able to share with friends & family and brag, "And Its All Vegan!"

Honey Chamomile Cupcakes 
(adapted recipe from Joy the Baker Cookbook)

Cupcakes:

1/4 cup Earth Balance Butter
1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
3/4 cup evaporated cane sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons dried chamomile (tea bags work perfectly fine)
1/2 cup soy, almond, or rice milk (I like using vanilla soy milk)
1 tablespoon prepared egg replacer (which is basically cornstarch and water)
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Honey Glaze:

1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon honey
5 tablespoons coconut milk
pinch of salt

Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a cupcake pan with paper or foil liners and set aside.

To make the cupcakes: In a bowl, combine butter, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, pinch of salt and chamomile leaves. Mix until mixture is course and sandy. This takes about 3-5 minutes in an electric mixer. 

Next, whisk together the non-dairy milk, egg replacer and vanilla extract. Pour half of the milk mixture into the flour mixture. Beat until just incorporated. Pour in the remaining milk mixture. Mix until well-combined. 

Divide the batter into the prepared cupcake pan. Don't be scared if you don't even fill half of it up. I only yielded about 6 cupcakes. 

Bake the cupcakes for 17 to 20 minutes, or until a small utensil or toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pan to cool completely before frosting.

To make the glaze:

Whisk together the sugar, honey, cream, and salt until smooth. Generously spread the frosting atop the cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle a pinch or two of chamomile tea leaves and arrange on a pretty plate. 





The low down on honey:


The truth of the matter is that honey that is mass produced is not exactly kind to bees. As Alicia states in The Kind Diet, "Yes, there are some groovy, kind beekeepers in the world, but they're not producing enough to make it to your grocery store." 

That said, I used Tupelo honey that I got from my local Teavana store ages ago. I have not purchased honey since then, but I don't feel like it is wise to waste the food you already have. So, as always, use your own common sense and better judgement. I may purchase honey if I know it came from a reliable local source, but generally I use what little bit I have left occasionally & I try to maintain my vegan promise as much as possible. 


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. This looks so delicious! And I love Joy the Baker and am so happy you could "veganize" it : )

    xo
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete