Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Personal Favorite: Simple Miso Soup

Miso is so wonderful. Really.

And I am not talking about the MSG-laden salty miso soup you get at your local sushi restaurant.

Miso is a fermented paste that can be made from a bean or grain, salt, and a special bacteria called koji. Its high content of live enzymes, vitamins and minerals, make miso a wonderful healing ingredient. It can be added to a variety of meals, but it is most potent in soup.

The best part of all is how easy this soup is to make! I love having this soup in the morning sometimes with a bit of brown rice because its so calming to start the day like this. Its extremely easy on your digestive system, and helps break your fast in a nutritious but gentle way.

The wakame is an edible ocean plant -- or sea veggie! Think of it as a cousin to Nori, that lovely piece of black seaweed you find in your sushi rolls. Its also full of minerals that our bodies need to stay healthy and happy.

Miso soup is so great because of its versatility. I don't like to complicate my miso soup with too many things, but I have found that mushrooms and tofu make it a good source of protein as well. Sometimes I'll add a bit of sliced carrots and scallions to the mix, depending on what mood I'm in. Fortunately, this soup is so amazing, that there are days when I dont even need anything but the miso broth.

Do you guys like miso soup? What veggie would you like to experiment throwing in there? I'd love to hear all about it!

Simple Miso Soup

Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups water
3 tablespoons wakame
1 cup of mushrooms, chopped
1/2 - 3/4 cup extra firm tofu, cubed
4 teaspoons mellow white miso
2-4 tablespoons of Tamari, or more to taste (gluten-free soy sauce)



Combine the wakame in about 1/2 cup of cold purified water in a bowl & set aside to soak. Bring the 3 1/2 cups of water to a boil. Add the shoyu, mushrooms, wakame & tofu. Simmer for about 5-8 minutes over medium heat.



Scoop the miso into a bowl & slowly combine with 1/2 cup hot water. I just use water from my broth. Whisk the miso and the water until well combined. Once this is done, remove your soup from the heat and add the miso. It is important to make sure the soup is no longer simmering, because too much heat will kill the benefits of this nutritious soup.



Pour into your favorite bowl & enjoy. :)



*I also want to give a BIG thank you to my best friend, Rebecca Marin of www.RebeccaMarin.com for letting me guest feature on her blog! Follow her posts for the best fashion advice you'll ever receive. Love you doll. Xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment