Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Dinnertime: 'Adult' Beanie Weenies with Mac & Cheese

This simple recipe takes me back to the days when I first started my journey in the kitchen. Mami would make the pasta & I'd heat up the can of soup and feel like such a big girl.

Now I make the pasta myself, use veggie Smart Dogs, and add some greens. But no matter what, there's something about baked beans that just makes me feel like a kid again. I love it.



Bon Appétit.




Beanie Weenies

1 can prepared baked beans
3 "smart dogs" or veggie protein links of your choice, chopped

Heat beans and soy hot dogs over medium flame. Serve warm. 


Easy Mac & Cheese

1 cup pasta
1 heaping tablespoon fresh minced garlic
1 1/2 cups plain non-dairy milk
1 cup nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon shoyu
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes, if desired
1/4 cup vegan mozzarella cheese, optional


Boil pasta according to directions or until al dente. Meanwhile, saute garlic over medium heat in a large pan. Add milk and heat for 1 minute. Slowly add nutritional yeast, stirring carefully until completely dissolved. Add all the ingredients except the vegan mozzarella one by one until fully incorporated. When the pasta is ready, add it to the cheese mixture. Stir until well combined. Add the mozzarella cheese and mix well.





Serve the beans and pasta with your favorite greens, and a side of toast with Earth Balance butter. Yum..childhood. :)


Don't you just love the musical pasta my sister got me from Berlin? So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment