Thursday, March 28, 2013

Catching Up


Hello lovelies!

I hope you didn't think I abandoned you...

March proved to be a month full of lessons and growth. I always seem to have these periods of isolation, especially during the wintertime, when I keep to myself and reflect on my life and what I wish to happen in the future, how I have learned from the past, and more than anything, how to maintain sanity amongst the chaos that is my collegiate/music/career life.

I must admit I slipped a few times here and there with my food choices. I was finding it difficult to cook too much throughout the day, & I'd come home at night and pop a frozen meal (or two), or order some greasy disappointing takeout, or otherwise just forage through my snack cabinet and eat whatever possible thing I could find. Even when takeout and frozen dinners are vegan or vegetarian or deemed "healthy," its still not ever as satisfying as a home-cooked meal with fresh ingredients.

As convenient as it may be to resort to quick meals, I scold myself because I always regret it. My skin starts to look dull, my eyes become dry and dark circles are visible, I have no energy, I toss and turn at night, and as result of my physical ailments, I become irritated and fussy. Ugh. Bad Carys. There is no bigger pet peeve I have than someone who is constantly negative or appears angry for no reason. Imagine how it makes me feel when I know that person is me!

I don't know if the dreary dark winter in Boston has anything to do with it (it does), but once my sleeping and eating patterns get out of whack, its all down hill from there.

Luckily, I was able to head back to warm Texas and soak up the sun. Spring weather comes very early in my hometown; it even hit 100ºF for a couple days!!

I was able to reset my internal clock with the bright sunshine and cool summer-like nights. I wasn't able to make it to the beach, but I did get to eat, eat, eat, and EAT all week with the people I love, and that was just what the doctor ordered.

That said, I have so many delicious recipes coming up so definitely keep checking in! Spring takes a while to finally settle in here in Boston (its a chilly 40º degrees right now..boo), but the forecast is promising, and nothing inspires me to light up the kitchen more than sunny days ahead!

I'm excited to keep my mind and body in sync with delicious vegan food once again.

Today's lunch is a falafel wrap I picked up from Trader Joe's on my way to work. It has hummus, tabbouli salad, and a tahini sauce wrapped in a whole-wheat tortilla. So light and fresh!

My drink of choice is Trader Joe's "Very Green" Juice smoothie made with Spirulina, Barley Grass, Spinach, Broccoli, Parsley, Ginger, Garlic, and Blue Green Algae. It's blended with a bunch of fruit purees, but that is all natural sugar that is much more gentle than refined sugars and our bodies can break it down easily. The garlic threw me off a bit, but this smoothie is so sweet, I swear you can't even taste it. I forgot how much I love having raw food for lunch. It supplies me with just the right amount of energy for the rest of the day that no Starbucks drink could ever match.

Tune in this weekend for a sweet start to Easter weekend! (hint..its cupcakes)





“In life, you need either inspiration or desperation.” 
― Anthony Robbins




2 comments:

  1. So happy you're feeling better!! Love the cupcakes above.

    love you

    ReplyDelete