Thursday, April 4, 2013

Creamy & Comforting Veggie Bisque

Boston spring weather can be such a tease.  

One minute it's 55º out, and the next it's 30º with gale-force winds.

If that wouldn't drive you insane, I honestly don't know what would. Nothing has the potential to ruin my day more than knowing I'm not adequately dressed for the weather. Especially when a hurricane comes and it was sunny a few hours ago. It happens.

Alas, the cold weather persists here in Boston. Even though the northeast natives consider this the beginning of "T-Shirt weather," this Texas girl will continue to dress in layers until I see it hit 75º (aka actual t-shirt weather..but I digress).

Soup is amazing when it's chilly out, and the ability to turn into a complete meal is a great thing.

I adapted this recipe from Honest Fare's "Magical Celery Bisque." The basis of it is pretty much the same, and its the perfect recipe to mix and match veggies until you find your perfect combo. I happened to have kale & golden potatoes in my fridge, which paired deliciously with this bisque.


The creaminess comes from silken tofu. (Oooooohh!) Most people (non-vegans) are a bit skeptical when it comes to tofu because it can be terribly bland. Trust me, I KNOW.  Luckily this recipe is packed with flavor and a spicy kick, and while most creamy soups are laden with greasy & fattening butter, milk, or cream (blah), the silken tofu provides an abundance of protein. Our leafy green veggie and golden potato round this dish out nicely.



Also, it's perfect for leftovers! Yum.




Creamy & Comforting Veggie Bisque
adapted from Magical Celery Bisque, Honest Fare

Ingredients:

entire large cluster of celery, rinsed
half a white onion
one garlic clove (or about 1/2 tablespoon fresh minced garlic)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon celery salt
dash of cumin
dash of white pepper (black pepper works just as well, it's just not as pretty ;)
2 cups water

1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or some red pepper flakes)
3/4 container silken tofu (I just used the full container for a creamier bisque)
1 tablespoon shoyu
3-4 small golden potatoes, cooked & chopped (tip: use the ones that are steamable in the microwave!)
handful of kale, chopped & rinsed (sans stalks)
sea salt, to taste

Dice celery (including the leaves), garlic and onion. Heat oil in a large, deep pan or soup pot and sauté celery, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery salt, and cumin at high heat until celery begins to break down a bit (about 7-10 minutes). Onions should be translucent. Add water, cover, reduce heat and cook at a simmer until celery is very tender and falling apart (15-20 minutes).



Spoon all the celery mixture into a food processor or blender. (Honest Fare suggests using an immersion blender although I wouldn't recommend this unless you're using a nice-sized pot to avoid spills.) Add the cayenne pepper and silken tofu. Puree for a couple minutes until its nice and smooth.



Transfer mixture back to pot and keep it at low heat. Add shoyu and a bit of water if it seems too thick. (You can add this step at any time until you get the consistency you desire.)  Slowly mix in kale until it begins to wilt. Add potatoes. Add salt to taste.  Serve warm.





Is it still cold where you are? I'd love to hear what you eat to stay healthy & warm!

<33 


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your saving my life Carys!! I recently became vegetarian and its amazing. I am definitely going to rely on your amazing cooking skills that you have always showed me to keep me alive! I miss you and I hope your doing well in Boston even though I know you probably are doing amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jason! I am so happy you decided try vegetarianism how exciting! I try to update as much as I can in-between school this semester, but definitely keep checking back! Miss you too love!

      <3
      Carys

      Delete